My Experience with The Italian Concentration in the Classroom

Well, it is that time we were all nervous for - heading to our externships in Italy. Logan and I will be traveling to Winery Tomaresca, about 4 hours from here on Wednesday for three weeks. Then, on April 10th, we head to Rome for a day. On April 11th, we begin our flights home! Until then, I would like to continue sharing my experience in Italy with all of you, in more of a laid-back way, not every day, but at least weekly!
 For this post, I would like the share with you my experience in the kitchen at the Castello and all the other things that came along with studying abroad here with the CIA.

I want to start off by saying how grateful I feel for this experience, as I have been changed by it. Studying abroad really opens your eyes to the rest of the world and allows you to think about what you really want in life. This was important to me as graduation is coming up quickly at the end of July. I believe that I have made the most out of my experience here through my travels and outside learning. With my time in the kitchen with Chef Odette, she is truly an inspiration to women chefs everywhere and I hope to be as successful in my career as she is. It was great to learn from here these last 12 weeks and truly see her Italian roots and flare on these traditions.

Moving into what I have learned... this is a big question, one I find very difficult to answer. The key point Chef Odette wants us to take away is "the taste of Italy." It may seem silly to some, but while I was here, I tried as much as I could. With each new food experience, I developed my knowledge into the ways people do things and what I could do to make it better. I find this to be very important in developing yourself and becoming a better student. Learning does not end when you leave the kitchen or classroom, sometimes you learn just as much or more in real life situations. From Rome to Bologna or Naples, the cuisine of Italy is not defined by just one taste, each has their own unique cuisine that has been respected and represented through the traditions that have been upheld.

The one word I would use to describe my experience: Transformative
Though I have experienced things differently than I expected, I feel as if I have grown as an individual and have been forced to stand up for what I want. In life, things are not handed to you, one must work for what they want or what they believe in. Through my time here, this has been something I worked on and feel has made me develop further as a student and person.

I want to leave this post with a few of my favorite parts of my journey. I know it is not over yet, but the time I have had here was special. I feel beyond lucky to have had my best friend here along for the ride. Logan, I needed you more through this time than ever and I am thankful you were here.

I hope this is an experience students at any school would consider doing. Studying abroad forces you outside your comfort zone and makes you think for yourself. I am not one to regret anything and make decisions with my whole heart. I am again thankful for this experience.













With love,
Baylee

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Before our Adventure

Our trip to Milan

Antichi Sapori